top of page

Greene County Historical Sites

Greene County is the home to a number of historic sites, including seventy properties and districts listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Below is a partial list. 

Nathan Boone Homestead

(National Register of Historic Places)

Location: East side of State Highway V, approximately 2 miles north of
Ash Grove, MO.

County registration date: Dec. 1, 1980

This 1-1/2 story home of the famous son of Daniel Boone is believed to be the oldest and best-preserved walnut log cabin west of the Mississippi River. The home was constructed in 1837 and has been uninhabited since the 1950s. The cabin and 300 acres surrounding the home was purchased by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources and is being developed as a State Historic Site.


Boegel and Hine Flour Mill (or Wommack Mill)

(National Register of Historic Places)

Location: East side of Main Street in Fair Grove, MO.

County registration date: April 27, 1987

The mill was built in 1883 and operated continuously until 1969. This mill is the oldest standing commercial structure in Fair Grove. The three-story oak frame structure is situated near a stream, however, it was never water powered. It was steam powered until the late 1920s. The mill is owned by the Fair Grove Historical and Preservation Society.


Gilmore Octagonal Barn

(National Register of Historic Places)

Location: On the north side of Highway 160, approximately 3.5 miles east of
Ash Grove, MO.

County registration date: May 1, 1995

The barn was built in 1880 and is probably the earliest polygonal or round barn in Missouri. It is the largest known barn of its type in the state and is the only one with full stone wall construction. It exhibits superb design and workmanship, and is exceptionally well preserved.


Elijah Teague Anderson House

(National Register of Historic Places)

Location: 406 North Pine in the city of Republic, MO.

County registration date: Dec. 1, 1980

The Anderson House is a significant example of Victorian architecture style. Recently restored by its current owners, it is in unusually good condition. The house was built in 1885 by Elijah Teague Anderson, a merchant and prominent citizen of Republic. He and his son, William P. Anderson, were active in many civic projects, including the donation of land and money to start Republic's first high school.


Wilson's Creek National Battlefield

(National Register of Historic Places)

Location: Southwest of the city of Battlefield on Farm Road 182.

County registration date: Feb. 25, 1980

The battlefield is probably the most significant feature of Greene County history. A battle, considered by many historians to be the most important Civil War battle west of the Mississippi, was fought on this site Aug. 10, 1861. The United States Congress recognized this fact by establishing a National Park on the 1,200-acre site.

Greene County Courthouse

Location: 940 Boonville, Springfield, MO.

County registration date: Feb. 25, 1980

The Greene County Courthouse is a building of major significance in the county, both historically and architecturally. It is the fifth building to serve as the center of government since the organization of the county in 1833. The courthouse was completed in 1912 and provided quarters from 1912 to 1938 for the City of Springfield, as well as Greene County. The architectural style is modern classical; the exterior is covered with Phenix stone all quarried and cut in Greene County. It was the first building designated as a Greene County Historic Site.

Prospect Baptist Church

Location: Southeast corner of Farm Road 128 and Farm Road 45.

County registration date: April 13, 1981

The Prospect Baptist Church and cemetery in western Greene County were located on the site of one of the early pioneer churches organized in 1840. According to local tradition, a Union Army encampment called Camp Prospect was located at this site in 1861. The church building was destroyed by fire in the late 1990s.

Cave Springs Community Church (Mt. Zion Presbyterian)

Location: State Highway AC and Farm Road 87, Cave Springs, MO.

County registration date: Nov. 2, 1981

The Mt. Zion Presbyterian Church, now Cave Springs Community Church, is a building with interesting architectural features, like a second floor sanctuary, and important connections to the early history of Greene County. Built in 1867, the building marks the site of an earlier log chapel and still earlier brush arbor, where one of the earliest churches in Greene County was organized in October of 1839. The present large two-story white frame structure with a bell tower had long served as a church, a school and a community meeting place.

Murray Cemetery

Location: One-half mile west of the junction of Farm Road 88 and Highway AB.

County registration date: Nov. 28, 1983

Established in or about 1845, Murray Cemetery was the burying place for the pioneer family for whom Murray Township was named. It also served as a major burying place for Confederate dead after the battle of Wilson's Creek. It contains more Confederate graves than any private cemetery in the county.

Mt. Pisgah Methodist Church

Location: Six miles east of Springfield on Catalpa (Farm Road 144) near Pearson Creek.

County registration date: Oct. 14, 1986

The Mt. Pisgah Campgrounds, site of the church, were used by early settlers and freighters on the Rockbridge Road. It is reported that the Missouri Conference of the Methodist Protestant Church was organized on the grounds in 1844. The current congregation was organized in 1854. The first two buildings were destroyed by fire; the first building in 1865 and the second in 1887. The current structure was built in 1888 and has been remodeled twice, but still serves as a church.

Hood Methodist Church

Location: 139 North Walnut in Republic, MO.

County registration date: Oct. 14, 1986

Following an 1881 revival held in Republic, a Methodist congregation was established. The current sanctuary was built in 1891. It is believed to be the oldest church and the oldest building in Republic.

Haseltine-Dreyfus-H'Doubler House

Location: South of College Street on Haseltine Road.

County registration date: October 14, 1986

The house was built in 1897. It took three years to build the structure of stone mined and cut on the Haseltine property and laid by the workers of Mr. Haseltine's apple orchard. The style is very unique consisting of massive stones set at random angles in the columns on all sides of the house, with a turret of three stories, four fireplace stacks, three gables, an indoor pool and an observatory.

David Murray Homestead

Location: North and east of Farm Road 88 and Highway 13.

County registration date: Nov. 7, 1988

The property was settled by David Murray in 1867 and has been held continuously in the family from that date to the present. The Italianate Vernacular style home was built in 1870. The homestead is a Greene County Century Farm and is in unusually good condition with very little deterioration of integrity.

Crystal Cave

Location: Five miles north of Springfield on Hwy. H.

County registration date: Oct. 19, 1992

Crystal Cave has been open continuously to the public as a commercial cavern since 1893. Crystal Cave served as a model for many subsequent commercial cavern operations in southwest Missouri. The first owner was the English-born Alfred Mann, who grew celery and mushrooms in the cave. Human skeletal remains and other tools and debris dating back to 1,000-1200 A.D. have been found in the cavern.

Frame-Bouling House

Location: Highway T, west of Bois D'Arc, MO.

County registration date: Oct. 19, 1992

Samuel Parker Frame and his family moved from Indiana to Greene County in 1869. He was a farmer, merchandiser and lumber dealer. Mr. Frame purchased 500 acres on which he built a two-story brick Italianate style house. The home, built in 1869, is very well preserved with few evident alterations. The bricks used in the structure were hand made. The house is an excellent example of a popular style house built by well-to-do Greene County farmers after the Civil War.

Chandler House

Location: North and west of the intersection of AA and 65 Highway, at the end of Farm Road 74.

County registration date: January 18, 1994

The house was built in 1871. The house is one of the few remaining double pen, mirror (two front doors) designs left in Greene County. It is a 2-1/2 story frame house with two side porches and a wraparound covered porch. Its development represents an exemplary vernacular "Victorian" farmhouse of Greene County. Although the house has been extended and slightly remodeled in the rear, the integrity of the 1880s appearance remains undiminished.

bottom of page